I have to admit that I am a huge fan of some young adult book and tv series. However, now that I’m older, I tend to find out about amazing series through different outlets. One of my favorites, is The Mortal Instruments Series, by Cassandra Clare. I became interested in it when I was watching another movie at the theater. Well, I talked to one of my friends and she told me that she loved the books. When the movie came out, we had a friend date and gave it a try.
I loved the movie and quickly bought the series. I finished them in an embarrassingly short amount of time. They are amazing and I’d recommed the whole series to everyone! There are so many things that throw you off and keep you guessing. They are completely appropriate for a teenager, but in my research, I’ve noticed that adults love them too.
When the tv show came out, you can bet that I watched every episode (possibly twice). While there are always arguments for which is better, I don’t want to get into that now. I’ll save that for another post. But I would like to point out that the tv show raised the ages of the characters, making them college aged. Instead, I’m going to talk about what I love about the story.
SPOILERS- I’m going to stick with Book 1, Season 1, and the movie. Don’t read any further if you’re interested in the series. If you are interested in finding a series to binge on, there are plenty of books to read and a full season to watch.
1.Now, let’s start with the story. How brilliant is this that there are part angels who come down to save us from demons? They are called Shadowhunters. But what makes them so amazing is that is nothing innocent about them. These angels are lethal fighters. Their entire mission in life is to protect the world from harm.
2. Tattooed and black leather…how could Clary (Clarissa) not fall for Jace? But the tattoos do more than just look cool, they are what give the shadowhunters their powers. The specific tattoos are burned into their body with the equivalent of a magic wand. There is one to make you walk quietly, one to give you night vision, one to make you sexy…Okay, there isn’t one to make you sexy, but all the shadowhunters are. What I like about the tattoos, besides the fact that they look amazing, is that Clare took something that is sometimes frowned upon and made it powerful. What an amazing message.
3. Clary’s family isn’t cookie cutter. She doesn’t know her father. At first, she thinks its because he was a war hero, but actually Clary’s mom, Jocelyn, left him when she discovered just how evil he really was. Aren’t you tired of seeing someone with what looks like a perfect home life? This just isn’t a reality any more and Clare moves with the times.
4. The weapons are unique but still deadly. Isabelle, one of the shadowhunters, has a whip that wraps around her wrist when she isn’t using it. Sometimes, it even seems like it has a mind of it’s own but, really, it is just Isabelle bending it to her will. Alec, her brother, is an archer. Jace is an expert with a sword that can stab demons and kill them. But only a shadowhunter can bring the sword to life. All the weapons are thought out and blend perfectly with the characters’ personalities.
5.They don’t focus on just one type of supernatural character. There are werewolves, vampires, fae, demons, warlocks, and more. I love seeing the interactions between the different species. They don’t all hate each other, but there obviously isn’t peace. Oh, and the vampires don’t sparkle. They’re actually quite vicious.
6. Magnus…Now I probably should have talked about him first, but I wanted to ease you into it. He is one of the best characters in the series. He is a fabulous warlock with an even more fabulous wardrobe. But what makes Magnus so amazing is that he is different. He is different in just about every way, but he has a big heart. Okay, and he has amazing powers and an incredible back story. Harry Shum Jr plays him perfectly in the tv show. Bottom line, he is amazing and let’s not get into his relationships. #Malec
7. The brotherly love. Who doesn’t love a good bromance? It’s made even better because the guys are hot! I checked and they’re all of age, so it’s not creepy for you to think that. I love the relationship between Jace and Alec. The two of them have a great friendship that extends deeper than family. They are parabatai which means that they are connected. Their powers are stronger because of it and they can even siphon power from each other if they really needed it.
8. The Institute! One of my favorite things to do when I studied abroad was to wander around and stare at old buildings. While the Institute initially looks like this big, old, condemned building, it really isn’t. It’s actually a dramatic gothic building. It looks amazing! In the tv show, it is equipped with all kinds of spy equipment and high tech gadgets. I think that’s my favorite version. In the books and the movies, it is actually pretty deserted. Only a few shadowhunters still live there. No matter if it’s full of hunters or pretty sparse, I’d still love to live there.
9. I like that the movie followed the book and I like that the tv show didn’t. I know that this sounds like it’s contradictory, but I liked the two different takes on the one world. It’s not often that a series gets a second chance to thrive and they drastically changed things. I don’t think I would have liked it if they tried to recreate the movie. I’m not saying that one was better than the other, that’s for another day.
10. There is more! Clare has different versions of the characters and the series doesn’t just end with the final Moral Instruments book. There is even an entire set following Magnus. It isn’t the same story either and now season 2 is starting in January. The trailer is out so make sure you watch it.
Stay tuned until next week where we’ll have a quiz to help figure out which shadowhunter weapon would be perfect for you.
I’d love to hear your opinions, what do you like about the series, the show, or the movie?