Searching for Disaster came out on Monday and we reviewed it yesterday. Today, we interviewed Jennifer Probst about her characters, her writing, and most importantly, what’s she’s going to be for Halloween.
1. What is the strangest thing you keep on your writing desk?
A stuffed Dug animal from the movie, Up. He’s my fave character.
2. You write one of my favorite series, the Married to a Billionaire series, where did you come up with the inspiration for those lively characters? But specifically, please tell me Mama Conte is based off a real person?
LOL, Mama Conte is actually loosely based on my grandmother and my dreams of growing up in Italy. I used many references close to home like local spots, and those characters had been living in my head for years, ready to spring out!
3. Mama Conte has that beautiful tradition of a wife making pasta noodles by hand for her husband. Have you ever made spaghetti by hand and served it to your love interest?
Nope! I like to cook when I have time – not for survival which is the majority of the time when my kids want dinner haha! But again, the scene inspires me in my dreams of cooking pasta in Italy.
4. Who is your favorite character from this series?
My fave character is probably Wolfe from The Marriage Merger and Searching for Beautiful.
5. Why did you first decide to write?
I have been writing since I was eight years old – it’s always been the only career I ever wanted to do. It’s all I’ve ever known!
6. Who, be it an author or someone else, really inspired you in the beginning of your career?
Nora Roberts, Linda Howard, Sandra Brown, Jayne Ann Krentz, Danielle Steel, Sidney Sheldon, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc. The greats all inspired me and never let me down.
7. Your characters all have very distinct voices and character traits, how do you keep them all straight?
Characters are the true heart of all of my books and each one is individual, with faults and dreams and failures. I go very deep so when I write them, I would never confuse them with another. Like people, they stand on their own and have their own journey I love to write.
8. Kate has that fun ability to determine if people are right for each other just by touching them. This is a unique power, how did you come up with that?
I had a hard time dating and I thought it would be a wonderful gift to have, but also I wanted to explore the humor of not being able to find your own soul mate but helping everyone else! It was a lot of fun to experiment with that premise.
9. What book is up next on your kindle or holding a coveted spot on your night stand waiting to be read next?
Royally Screwed by Emma Chase is up next!
10. Your new book, Everywhere and Every Way just came out and it features billionaire builders, did you have to do a lot of research for that book? How much research do you normally do for one of your books?
Yes, I adore HGTV channel which shows how houses are built, redesigned, flipped, renovated, etc. I watched a lot of shows, read books, researched articles, and talked with builders. Since I had my own house built, I had tons of experience and people to ask questions to.
11. Are you able to provide us with some detail on what you’re working on now or what you’re releasing soon? Maybe another Billionaire Builder book?
Yes! I’m very excited to say I’m releasing a short holiday story called The Grinch of Starlight Bend. It comes out this month and is available with 4 other novellas in a boxed set called The Men of Starlight Bend. I’m also releasing the second in my Billionaire Builders series with Any Time, Any Place in January. And then in March, my first nonfiction book, Write Naked: A Bestseller’s Guide to Writing Romance and Navigating the Path of Success comes out with Writers Digest Books!
12. Is there anything you’d like to share with your fans?
I adore my fans. Seriously. They are the only reason I get to do what I love and write every day. I love being in contact with them on all social media channels and encourage them to reach out and talk to me about my books!
13. Do you have any plans to dress up for Halloween? If so, as what?
Yes, I am dressing up as a devil with horns, a pitchfork and a cute black dress! Love dressing up with my kids and going trick or treating.
Jennifer Probst wrote her first book at twelve years old. She bound it in a folder, read it to her classmates, and hasn’t stopped writing since. She took a short hiatus to get married, get pregnant, buy a house, get pregnant again, pursue a master’s in English Literature, and rescue two shelter dogs. Now she is writing again.
She makes her home in Upstate New York with the whole crew. Her sons keep her active, stressed, joyous, and sad her house will never be truly clean.
She is the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of sexy and erotic contemporary romance. She was thrilled her book, The Marriage Bargain, was ranked #6 on Amazon’s Best Books for 2012. She loves hearing from readers. Visit her website for updates on new releases and her street team at www.jenniferprobst.com.
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/jenniferprobst.authorpage